About This Author
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 14, 2008 at 10:41am
Re: Day 15 Finished
by justme
I've never been much for outlines... I'd write a basic outline of thoughts for characters, settings, and scenes, but other than that I tend to let my characters tell me what they want to happen. All of the activities for this month of preparation, though, have shown me how important my outline can be. I seem to get wrapped up in it for hours at a time. It's almost like interviewing my characters and finding out what happened; just a few brief statements that can be fleshed out and embellished later. Once I got started I realized that I actually outlined more than I thought I had in the past, but mostly for the writing I was going to include in scrapbooks.

When I scrapbook for myself, I make an outline of the events that occurred and then write a story based on that outline to tell about the trip and the experiences we shared as a family.

When I scrapbook for others, I do the same thing. I have them tell me about their trip and the memories they want to highlight. Then, based on that outline, I write a story about it and have them read it and approve it. Sometimes they read the story and recall something they had forgotten. Other times they read it and are amazed at how I knew all of the details. I didn't know them, really. I listened to their story as they told it, picked up on their emotions, and them dropped the story into the scenes depicted in their photographs. All of these details were in the notes I took while they talked.

I'm going to be using outlines a lot more in my writing. I have learned so much about writing and about myself through these activities. If I don't write a word in November, this month has already been so worthwhile!

Write on!
Deborah

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
"Invalid Item
MESSAGE THREAD
Day 15 Finished · 10-14-08 10:14am
by Dawn J. Stevens
*Exclaim*Re: Day 15 Finished · 10-14-08 10:41am
by justme
Re: Re: Day 15 Finished · 10-14-08 1:01pm
by Dawn J. Stevens
Re: Re: Day 15 Finished · 10-14-08 2:47pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online