48 Hour Short Story Contest
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 4, 2009 at 11:55pm
My entry, even though it may not be judge for wrong time...
by A Non-Existent User

Thirteen year old Angela rocked herself, keeping her knees against her chest as she wept. The mane of honey fell over her face and legs like a warm blanket. Her mother’s strangled cries reached her room while her father pummeled her. She stood as her father stomped by her closed bedroom door. She bit her knuckles in a hopeful act that maybe today a few moments of rage would be enough.

But then her mother’s hoarse voice rang out, “Why? How could you cheat on me with her?”

Angela shook her head as her father let out a cry of fury, before charging back to continue where he left off.

“I told you to shut up!” Her father gritted as he struggled with something.

She slumped on the floor at the noise of shattering items and slapping sounds. She covered her ears while wishing she would wake soon from this horrid dream.

“Leave me alone,” is what her mother managed to squeal under her father’s hold.

Angela ran to her bedroom window and opened it. She inhaled sharply the fresh scented breeze. Her gaze fell on her neighbor’s house. The Davison’s were an old couple. The lights in their house were on at 2am, and they moved around their house with no care in the world.

She knew they could hear the racket, and she also was aware why they didn’t bother to interfere. They were tired like her in trying to help her mother. Both she and they had called the cops on various occasions, and each and every episode her mother denied what occurred and wouldn’t press charges.

Angela looked over her shoulder and heard the heated fight still going on between her parents. She couldn’t take another minute hearing more, so she went in search for her shoes. She found a shoe by her night table and slipped it on. The other was nowhere in sight. She smiled when she found it underneath her bed.

A loud shrill caused her to drop her shoe and it thumped and bounced on the wooden floor. Something leaped out of it and pounced on the floor beside it. She flicked her lamp on and saw it was a grasshopper.

It began to make piercing shrills while it leapt around as though trying to draw her attention. She arched a brow, wondering what it wanted as she put on her other shoe. Her parents’ noises sounded distant as she focused her attention on this interesting insect.

She reached towards it with her palm faced up. It leapt in her hand but quickly jumped away. It did this various times, bringing a chuckle out of her. She followed after it as it led her to the closet.

Angela waited to see the grasshopper again, but it disappeared into her dark closet. She jerked as it shrilled, encouraging her to follow. She flicked the switch and searched through her clothes and boxes. They moved into this century old house a month ago. She always believed there was much more to this house than what met the eye.

There, in a far end corner waited the grasshopper. Once she drew closer, the insect went berserk. It twirled in the air and kept bouncing off a small broken panel. It stilled when she reached for the wall.

She opened the panel which looked more like a secret compartment. Inside it held a small box. Once she got hold of it, the insect pounced on her right arm and leapt towards her shoulder were it stilled.

Angela sauntered towards her bed, where she sat and used the sleeve of her pajama to dust off the top. The wooden box had words inscribed on it, but she couldn’t make out what the unknown language said.

“What is this?” she whispered to her small companion.

The grasshopper shrilled while she gaped at the letters, which glowed and contour into her native language. She swept her gaze over the words.

When Darkness and Despair haunts you, join us and we’ll make your day unforgettable.

Angela furrowed her brows as she tried to grasp what it offered. Her head shot up at her dad pacing the halls like a wild animal. She quickly dimmed the lights in her room. Her hands shook as it held the box.

“I don’t want him to hit me too,” she muttered in a sob.

The grasshopper leapt on the box’s lid, pounced around shrilling, before returning on her shoulder.

“You want me to open it?” she said it more in a statement than asking.

The grasshopper acknowledged her with its cute, irritating tune.

She swallowed hard as she inched it open. A white glow filled the room while her bed shook. A beautiful lullaby which surrounded her kept her from shutting the lid close.

Angela shook her head as the song and glow vanished and left her dazed. She scanned her bedroom which appeared to look the same. But she stood at a cheery melody that sounded in a distance.

The grasshopper pounced into mid air, as a golden shine cover its form while it transformed into a clown. Angela’s lips curved into a smile as she stared at the stubby, thin man. This clown was unique. Angela had come upon many clowns, with their big, rough, red hair, painted face and clothes that looked big and ridiculous, but this clown wasn’t like any of them.

She reached out and touched his large mane which was big but fell over his shoulders. It was soft to the touch. She pulled her hand back at the sizzle of electricity that ran up her arm. His face didn’t look painted, for the colors he carried seemed to part of his natural skin.

The tone of his face was mercury, while his nose was bright red as well as his huge lips. He tilted his head from side to side as he gaze at her with his black, mischievous eyes. Then he smiled. It was frightening and hilarious at the same time; Angela couldn’t hold back a laugh.

“There, there…finally, a smile I enjoy seeing on your face,” he said while he circled her. “Well my dear Angela, I am Badin.”

Angela reached out to shake his hand, but he snatched it back as he sneezed and a rose appeared in his hands. He offered it to her.

“How did you do that?” she exclaimed as she took the gift and gaped at it.

“Magic, child. Too bad my magic wasn’t capable of bringing me back decades ago. But then I wouldn’t have met you.”

“I don’t understand. Aren’t we still at my house?”

“Not exactly. You’re in my place. Where there’s no time for sadness, only loads of fun. Come, come, I miss my friends and you have to be back by dawn.”

“I don’t want to go back home.”

The clown paused at the door and turned. “I wish you could stay, but it doesn’t work that way, Angela. The box will work only when you’re in need of laughter and a break from the unpleasant life you live. Only then you may come here and spend some time to erase some of the effects of your horrible life.”

“That’s not fair, why do have to make me go back there?”

A sympathetic look covered his face as he said, “It’s not I, child. Those are the rules.”

“Oh really, and what else should I know?”

“You will only be able to use the secret box until you turn sixteen and you must pass it to another child in distress.”

“What! Why only until then?”

“Because from then on you’ll be closer to becoming a woman, there would be no need for us. And because those are the rules.”

“And if I chose to keep the box after I turn sixteen?”

Badin shuddered.

“Then you will condemn me to live away from my family and friends, until another child in need get their hands on the box.”

“Is that why you were in my shoe?”

He chuckled.

“Yes, and every other insect and animal that accompanied you since you arrived. Thank goodness you don’t have athlete’s foot. I’d be heading for a shower right now if you did.”

She chuckled.

“Why couldn’t you come back here?”

Badin sighed.

“Thirty years ago, a young boy named Andrew broke his word to give the box to a little girl named Shelly after his birthday party. He kept it selfishly and he hid it in the secret compartment. Therefore, ensuring no one who find it and use what he believed was his by right and no one else’s. But because I could only travel back and forth with a child under the age of sixteen, I was stuck in your world of existence since then.”

“So what world is this?”

“It’s a parallel world called, Vagalinorio which means: Merriment.”

“I still don’t understand why didn’t you find the girl yourself and tell her about the box?”

“I tried to tell you since you arrived in my many shapes and forms, but you ignored me or found me to be a nuisance. I cannot speak and look like this in your world. It is forbidden.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry you were stuck in my world because of a stupid, selfish boy. I promise I will keep my promise to share this wonder when the time comes.”

Badin smiled.

“I truly hope so. I wouldn’t want to have to suffer such a fate again. But enough of chit chatting here, let’s go and enjoy ourselves.”

He dragged her by the arm and opened the door. The scent of cotton candy and caramel candy apple engulfed her senses. She stood gaping at her surroundings. There were no longer in a home similar to hers, but outside, in a forest.

Sounds of clanging drew her attention to large tent. She stared wide eye at the sight of a large hammer slamming against the stakes that held up the tent. The problem was that no one held it. It moved and worked as it had a mind of its own.

She gapped at sights of animals and people working in harmony as though they prepared for a special event. Badin was received many with hugs and kisses. Once Bradin got a breather, he returned for her and settled her in a booth filled with other children, between the ages of eight and fifteen.

“This looks like a Circus,” Angela exclaimed happily.

“Where do you think the humans got the idea in the first place,” Bradin teased as he winked. “Sit back and enjoy the show.”

With that said he returned with the others.

“Hi,” said familiar voice beside her.

She saw that it was a fourteen year old boy who went to her school. His green eyes looked deep into hers.

“Brian? Is it really you?”

“Yep. I see this is your first time.”

She nodded.

“I’m so glad you’re here. You’re going to love it,” Brian said as he ran his fingers in his black hair in a nervous gesture.

The lights dimmed as the spokesman that look like an elf spoke and enthralled all. And she sat back and found herself enjoying the show of marvels…

She woke on her bed. She stretched out and bolted in a sitting position. Placed on the corner of her bed was the magical box. A little blue bird flew in her window and settled on her knee and sang.

“Badin?”

At its tune escalating to a higher pitch she smiled.

“It is you,” she muttered as tears welled in her eyes. For the first time in a long time she cried with joy. She now had a safe haven to go to when her days were dark. She made an oath she was going to savor this gift and not take it lightly.

At the sound of her father’s footsteps nearing her room, she got up and hid the box where she found it. She couldn’t wait to see Brian and talk about last night.

The night before her sixteen birthday, Angela held Badin in her arms.

“I’m going to miss you very, very much.”

Badin smiled as he wiped his tears.

“I’m going to miss you too. But I have an early gift to give you.”

“You do?”

“Yep. It’s very special.”

“I bet.”

“Listen carefully, Angela. You will grow up to be a successful woman. You will go to college, and graduate in Public Relations. You will get married and have two boys and three daughters. And your dark past will be just the past.”

“Who will I marry?”

“I’m not allowed to give you his name. But he will be your best friend. And do you know why I tell you all this?”

Angela shook her head.

“Because the next two years will be difficult, but with this knowledge it will sustain your darkest hours.”

Angela sobbed.

“Thank you, Badin. You were right; no one else will give me a better gift.”

They hugged and cried as they were forced to say their goodbyes.

Three days later, Angela headed for a little boy who sat in a park bench. He was crying. She smiled as she sat beside him.

“Hi,” she said in a low tone.

He said nothing, just kept a gloomy look as he blinked at her.

“I brought you a gift.”

He lowered his head.

“I know you must be going through a tough time, and a friend of mine says he has what you need to cheer you up.”

He looked at her.

She leaned forward and whispered, “His name is Badin, and he wants to be your friend.”

The boy’s eyes fell on her fingers which tapped the lid of the box.

“This, my friend, is a special box. It’s the key to make your dark days brighter.”

A gleam of hope appeared in his eyes.

He leaned back, interested in what she had to say. She inhaled deeply smiling as she did, knowing that this unfortunate boy would have a little happiness in his life. And that knowledge made her happy and she felt at peace.

Not long after, she met with Brian who waited for her. As they held hands to get some ice cream, somehow knew what Badin couldn’t reveal to her. That Brian may be that man who would become her husband in a near future. But all that could wait, for thanks to Badin, she had learned to enjoy life a day at a time.

Word count: 2,426

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

MESSAGE THREAD
*Exclaim*
My entry, even though it may not be judge for wrong time...
· 05-04-09 11:55pm
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Legerdemain.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online