Chat Forum for 15 for 15 Contest
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 11, 2010 at 3:15am
Quantum Writing
In the world of the very small, there is no electron orbiting around the nucleus of an atom. There is only the probability of such. Then, we observe, thereby calling it into existence. When we do that, all of the other probability curves collapse. All of the other possible locations of the electron disappear.

I think writing is a lot like that. Bill Wilcox wrote the first part of his story for Train using only 77 words and then posted it to make the deadline. Those 77 words created a world of possibilities. Then, he wrote the rest of the story later and all of the other outcomes collapsed to zero. While his story was great (his always are), I have to admit that leaving a lot to my imagination early on was very appealing.

When we write, the next chapter, sentence or word is out there amongst infinite possibilities. Then we write. Then we call the outcome into existence and all other possibilities fall away to nothingness.

Maybe this is why I like short stories so much. We are forced by time or word counts to leave a lot of the story undiscovered until the reader finds it in his or her own mind.

j
MESSAGE THREAD
*Exclaim*
Quantum Writing
· 06-11-10 3:15am
by Hyperiongate
Re: Quantum Writing · 06-11-10 7:30am
by NickiD89
Re: Quantum Writing · 06-11-10 8:27am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Quantum Writing · 06-11-10 9:20am
by Travelin' Waltz
Re: Re: Quantum Writing · 06-11-10 10:01am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Quantum Writing · 06-11-10 12:40pm
by Dawn Embers
Re: Re: Quantum Writing · 06-12-10 12:24am
by Arakun the twisted raccoon
Re: Re: Re: Quantum Writing · 06-12-10 1:02am
by Dawn Embers

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, đź’€Legerdemaimđź’€.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online