About This Author
Youth Suicide Prevention Initiative
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 19, 2012 at 7:31am
Sometimes . . .
it is a great feat to wake up in the morning. I know about the way that we face each day when all we really want to do is fly away somewhere and stay there out of harm's way. When I was a youngster I grew up in the South Bronx. This was during the nineteen sixtees and everything was in turmoil. From the neighborhood gangs that sought for "turf" to the roach infested slums were I lived, there was no peace, and a fear that there was no salvation.

The only place I found succor, peace and delight was in books. I read voraciously. I completed several books in a week. My parents were alchololics. And, while I despised them when I was young and in their hands, I came to realize that they were ill when I got older.

That happened because I let myself grow and mature. I wanted to live to see what I could be. Life is difficult, often disasterous and less than satisfactory, especially when you are young. You feel helpless because you are. When no one listens or understands you throw up your hands and resign. A teenager is too young for this. Youth IS and excuse for inexperience. You do not know anything, you only think you do.

I will not say that you should not have opinions, as my mother told me; that you lack knowledge of the world, as my mother told me, that all of you endeavors and dreams are worthless, as my mother told me. She was ill with the disease of envy. My life was beginning, her's because of her lack of self-esteem was over in the world at large.
Parents can be the most difficult things. I am one myself and have negative and positive effects on my grown children. Although I do not embibe in alcohol, I am oftentimes very opinionated and bossy. Kids rebel about such stuff. I try to let them have their own lives, now.

My point is that one day you too will be a parent, if you let yourself mature. If you don't give up. Be the kind of parent that you wanted your's to be. Use wisdom, understanding and acceptance. After all it is their life, just as you have claimed possession of your own to your mom and dad.

Be patient and alert. There is a whole world of diversion for you to take part in that derails the family, bullies, teachers and anyone else that seeks to make you into . . . "nothing."
You are something. You are alive, you are unique. Use that to flourish and become what YOU want to be.

As always, many blessings to any who struggle, and as always I am here to talk to. Drop by my port and email me. I will listen, lend a hand if I can and just be there for any one of you who need me.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Exclaim*
Sometimes . . .
· 01-19-12 7:31am
by bertiebrite hoping for peace
Re: Sometimes . . . · 09-03-12 4:58am
by TY and congrats Miss Potato!

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, TY and congrats Miss Potato!.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online