15 for 15 Contest --- Closed
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 21, 2012 at 2:32am
June 20 - Winner
by Past Member 'mystic_dreams'
The crowd pushed against the barriers trying to get closer to Lucien Belenger. Devin hated crowds and wanted to slip back to the parking lot, but Caitlyn dragged him, weaving expertly through the masses. She hadn’t given him a chance to respond when she announced she intended to introduce Devin to Lucien. 

It’s bad enough the guy won the race, but did he have to be an Adonis as well? Devin focused on Caitlyn’s back. Who are you to think you can compete with that? You are such a loser, and you don’t even recognize it. Devin fought to breathe in and sought some positive affirmation to battle the negative voice. As usual though, the voice continued to taunt him, undermining him. 

“Come on, Devin. You are going to like each other. I just know it.” Caitlyn jumped up and waved to Lucien.

“Caitlyn.” He called, and waved back. “Excuse me folks. I think we are done here.” Despite the fans waving for autographs, Lucien strode towards them.

If only I could learn to move like that. And then what, sucker. Look at him. Look at you. Devin knew he couldn’t compete. When Caitlyn told him about her ex-boyfriend, Devin saw the writing on the wall. How did I ever think we could be more than friends? But, he did want to remain friends. For the first time in years he wanted to maintain a relationship, and if he had to step aside – Like you have a choice – to let Caitlyn find happiness, so be it. 

Caitlyn threw her arms around the big man, and he lifted her off her feet. Devin, jealous of their easy camaraderie, hung back, shuffling his feet in the dirt. Devin ignored their conversation. He didn’t want to impinge on their reunion. 

“And this is my special friend, Devin.” Caitlyn pulled him forward. 

“So this is the famous Devin. I am so pleased to meet you. You are one lucky man.”

Confused, Devin shifted his gaze from his feet to the man in front of him and then to a blushing Caitlyn.  Extending his hand, Devin clasped the other man’s in a firm handshake. “Lucky?”

“Many men have tried to get our little Caitlyn, but looks like you won.”

“Stop, Lucien.” Caitlyn punched the bigger man in the arm. “That was in confidence.”

“Caitlyn?”

“Oh Devin, you are a silly man. Of course.”

You know you are going to blow it. You can’t keep a girl like that. Devin took Caitlyn’s hand, and she gave it a little squeeze before moving close to his side. No Devin fought down the negative voice. No, this time I win. 

Subscribe and read Shadows Express.  
Summer issue coming June 21, 2012.
Open for submissions:
June 22, 2012 - August 1, 2012;
September 22, 2012 - November 1, 2012.

** Image ID #1842757 Unavailable **

~~Image #1379784 Sharing Restricted~~
MESSAGE THREAD
*Exclaim*
June 20 - Winner
· 06-21-12 2:32am
by Past Member 'mystic_dreams'

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Legerdemain.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online