About This Author
Brandiwyn🎶 , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 1, 2014 at 7:03pm
Re: Male or Female?
Yes you can! You already have it in you. What makes me so confident? I like the leading male character in your Scarlet novel. Through your female POV character you demonstrate a deep understanding of his strengths and weaknesses, especially his vulnerability, which makes him feel real - as convincing as any male character I've read on here, who was written by a female author.

So switching to his POV, for example, would not be the giant leap you seem to think. (IMO the story calls for this, in alternate chapters, if you ever decide to continue writing it.)

I found it liberating to write in the POV of teen female characters, especially in 1st-person present-tense. I think this is worth trying out with your male character, even if you don't plan to write in this form, because you will have full, unhindered access to the inside of his head.

I don't recall feeling out of my comfort zone for long because I soon 'was' my characters. Once you have fallen in love with your character - which you will because you care about him already, that's what fired you to create him - it will be like a parent-child relationship. Becoming thoroughly fascinated with him will let you into his feelings and reactions and attitudes. It doesn't matter if he's much older than you, he's still your baby.

Once you start writing in flow in that POV, you'll know you've hit the ground running, and the momentum will carry you.

Your next problem will be, avoiding 'nice writer syndrome': bad things must happen to him for there to be a story, and they must break your heart. When that happens, you'll know you're on to something.
MESSAGE THREAD
Male or Female? · 09-30-14 11:49am
by Shaye
Re: Male or Female? · 09-30-14 1:54pm
by Agape Novels
Re: Male or Female? · 09-30-14 3:08pm
by Lee Miller
Re: Re: Male or Female? · 09-30-14 4:31pm
by Dandelion Man
Re: Re: Re: Male or Female? · 10-01-14 11:23am
by Shaye
*Exclaim*Re: Male or Female? · 10-01-14 7:03pm
by Jed Jones - banned novel
Re: Male or Female? · 10-01-14 7:20pm
by ⭐Princette♥PengthuluWrites
Re: Re: Male or Female? · 10-01-14 7:54pm
by Jed Jones - banned novel
Re: Male or Female? · 10-01-14 8:40pm
by Storm Machine

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Brandiwyn🎶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online