About This Author
Brandiwyn🎶 , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 4, 2014 at 1:35pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Setting - a question way ...
by Fancy
The following Setting List is what I used for last years NaNo. Maybe this will give you an idea of what you might need. This list was my final revision. I started off with a simple list of places where my scenes would takes place. Then I began to revise the list and describe those settings that were important to the story. Everyone does it a little differently. I hope this gives you some ideas.

THE SHACK - SUTHERLAND, CA (Similar to Northern California)

I walked up to Sedrick's dilapidated one-story house. What stood out most was the paint chipping away from the wood siding. You couldn't even tell the original color of the exterior of the house. It was a small house with a deteriorating covered porch that was missing the hand rails to the steps that led up to the front door. But we never entered through the front door of the house. That part housed Sedrick and his mother, Madge. Instead, everyone that visited the home went through a side door that led to the converted garage, called The Shack.

The first thing I noticed when I entered The Shack was the smell. It smelled of stale beer, B.O., and a slight tinge of vomit. The walls were marked with spray-painted graffiti and stained mattresses lined the edges of the room. In one corner of the room was an old wooden bunk bed barely standing. There was a small table next to the bunk bed that was decorated with beer bottle caps. The carpet was so thin and hard it crunched under my feet. Random bodies were strewn about the room. Some positioned on the filthy cigarette burned mattresses. Others lay directly on the hard crunchy carpet. A small portion of sunlight showed through the aluminum foil lined window.

I careful walked through the dead-like bodies lying on the floor like a maze. Sedrick had his own room in the main part of the small house. I followed the hall from The Shack to Sedrick's bedroom. I knocked on his door and heard him say enter.

Sedrick was lying on his bed, which was actually a mattress placed on top a box spring with no bed railings. Next to his bed was a turned over plastic milk crate with a couple empty beer cans on it. The floor was covered with a mixture of dirty clothes, beer cans and take out boxes.The stench was bearable enough to stay and talk.

TROY’S MOM AND STEPFATHER’S APARTMENT - SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

Troy didn't exaggerate when he said he lived in the ghetto in Southern California. The apartments were run down and close together. There were no porches or balconies like you usually see on apartments. There was no grass on the surrounding areas, just dirt.

When I entered the family room I saw it was devoid of any decorations except for the pictures of Troy and Brian hanging on the walls. It looked like it was furnished in the seventies, with an orange and rust striped velour pullout couch and laminate accent tables. They also had a plaid recliner that only Mister Walter sat in.

The kitchen also had a laminate table and matching rolling chairs. There was an over-sized fork and spoon on the wall. I assumed the area that was stacked with small envelopes was unpaid bills. The refrigerator,stove top and oven were retro gold color. There also was a microwave stand with cookbooks on the bottom shelf.

When we stayed the weekend at Troy's family's apartment for Christmas we would be sleeping on the pullout couch and sharing the one bathroom the apartment had. Miss Anita and Mister Walter were accepting of mine and Troy's relationship just like my mom was. Maybe a little more so, since they felt I was a good influence on Troy.

RACEY’S MOM’S APARTMENT - GREY, NV (Similar to Las Vegas)

Sophia Baxter’s apartment was a coral colored stucco building with black wrought iron stairs to the upper floors. It was furnished with pastel blue couches and oak accent tables. The walls were covered with everything southwestern, including authentic dream catchers, made by local Indians. Living in the desert must have rubbed off on her.

PLEASANT HILLS HIGH SCHOOL

Same old, same old school. White brick building with the words Pleasant Hills High School, Home of the Patriots painted in red white and blue on the front of it. The gymnasium was at the far west of the property. Thankfully there was a parking lot on that side of the school. I wouldn't have to walk the halls of the school just to get to the gym.

Entering the gym, there were two sets of bleachers on either side. A volleyball net stretched across center court. The bleachers were bare because arrived early so Jena could warm up before the game.

MAIN STREET - PLEASANT HILLS, CA

There stood the green and white Pleasant Hills sign above us. The road was lined with street lanterns and American flags. A section of Main Street was closed off to vehicles. People walked in the street, shop to shop, without worry of being ran over.

Main Street looked as though we traveled back in time. Quaint shops lined both sides of the street. Dress shops, book stores, home decor and other shopping. Pleasant Hills wasn't a small town, but Main Street had the feel of one.

I also found a Setting Sketch in Scrivener you could use.

Name of Setting

Role in Story:

Related Characters:

Season:

Unique Features:

Description:

Sights:
Sounds:
Smells:

Notes:

Good luck!

Be blessed and be a blessing,
Fancy
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
Setting - a question way before the assignment itself · 10-04-14 6:39am
by Medvekoma
Re: Setting - a question way before the assignment itself · 10-04-14 6:54am
by MontyB
Re: Re: Setting - a question way before the assignment it... · 10-04-14 8:10am
by Brandiwyn🎶
Re: Re: Setting - a question way before the assignment it... · 10-04-14 8:10am
by Shanachie
Re: Re: Re: Setting - a question way before the assignmen... · 10-04-14 8:51am
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: Re: Re: Setting - a question way before the assig... · 10-04-14 10:01am
by Shanachie
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Setting - a question way before the a... · 10-04-14 10:14am
by Medvekoma
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Setting - a question way before t... · 10-04-14 11:20am
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Setting - a question way before t... · 10-04-14 11:28am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Setting - a question way befo... · 10-04-14 12:01pm
by Medvekoma
*Exclaim*Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Setting - a question way ... · 10-04-14 1:35pm
by Fancy
Re: Setting - a question way before the assignment itself · 10-04-14 8:06am
by Brandiwyn🎶

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Brandiwyn🎶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online