About This Author
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 5, 2014 at 4:08pm
Re: Contest
I'm sure each judge has their criteria, but I'll share some of my thoughts:

1) Is it presented professionally? Or are the opening paragraphs littered with poor punctuation, spelling and spacing? If a story is clearly not edited, I doubt I'll get more than a paragraph or two into it before I go cross-eyed and lose all interest, no matter how poetically it may be written.

2) Is it a story? This is my third year judging stories for Prep and while I have read many well-written interior monologues as a character strolls through darkened streets and reflects on who they are and why they do the things they do, I usually do not put those in my top 5 picks. My top picks are stories, with character interactions, dialogue and a plot, that really allow me to see the character in action.

3) Does it pique my interest? The goal of the exercise is to have my root for your character. I should come away from the story with an understanding of who your character is. I should feel capable of picking up a character sheet and filling in parts of it (not necessarily their hair color or how tall they are, but perhaps whether they're serious or silly, optimistic or pessimistic). Most of all, I should want to pick up your novel and read more about them.

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

Rate Yourself!  [E]
How would you rate yourself as an author based on the Writing.Com system?
by Sarah Rae

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

Merit Badge in Poetry
[Click For More Info]

I nominate Sarah Rae again for a merit badge for her amazing poetry. Though, she never claims to be a poet, but her work speaks for itself. Not only me, but many other people and about anyone who has come across her poetry has enjoyed it.  I envy her superb ability to write so easily and with so much emotion, and I look forward to many more poems from her. She is definitely very deserving of this badge.~Nominated by  [Link To User sarama]  through  [Link To Item #817493]  
Merit Badge in Dialogue
[Click For More Info]

For filling out your  BioBlock ! Merit Badge in Visit WdC 7
[Click For More Info]

Awarded for  visiting the site every day for a week . This badge can be earned over and over again.  Each of these badges adds one (1) Community Recognition!
MESSAGE THREAD
Contest · 10-05-14 3:12pm
by Adrianna
*Exclaim*Re: Contest · 10-05-14 4:08pm
by Sarah Rae
Re: Re: Contest · 10-05-14 4:25pm
by Shanachie
Re: Re: Re: Contest · 10-05-14 5:45pm
by Cheddah
Re: Re: Re: Re: Contest · 10-05-14 7:47pm
by Shanachie
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Contest · 10-06-14 4:00am
by Adrianna

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online