About This Author
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 9, 2014 at 7:48am
Edited: October 9, 2014 at 7:52am
Re: I still don't know what my story is
Are you married to the idea that Malik has come back to haunt Lilia? The first thought that occurred to me: What if one of Lilia's children has grown up with a fairy companion, unbeknownst to Lilia?

Other comments and ideas as they occur to me:

- if Ambrosia is taking over his court, why is it Malik's responsibility to stop that? Is he sovereign over his court? If that's the case, what if he needs Katrina as his heir? But Katrina must make an important choice, because she cannot live life as a mixed species. On her 14th (or 15th, or whatever) birthday, she must choose between her mortal life, family and friends, and her destiny as an immortal queen of the fae. This would be a fascinating story, because in stories like these, Katrina would typically be the protagonist, but this story is told through Lilia's eyes. Which way would she steer her child, and why? What will happen to her marriage when Gunther finds out (if Gunther finds out)? Katrina will know her mother's secret, and that's quite a big secret for a teenager to carry on behalf of her mother.

- if the magic is dying due to lost favor, it must mean the fae did something stupid. Again, why is Malik the one to remedy this, and why does he need Lilia? First thought: the fae are forbidden to couple with humans, and Malik is personally responsible for the lost favor. If he needs Lilia's help, then the remedy must have something to do with the child. Depending on the tone you want, you could (1) have the Goddess require the life of the child to save the magic, or (2) have the child do something to bring the magic back (which is your idea #3 anyway.) For example, let's say the problem is that as a half-fae, she is a magical creature. She's grown up being able to do all kinds of weird, unexplained things (naturally, Lilia has her suspicions.) But that's why coupling with mortals is forbidden - humans are not permitted to wield the magic. Katrina must go on a quest to some location where she must perform some task (ideally dangerous and scary!) and voluntarily give up her magic, give it back to the fae. Lilia and/or Malik could accompany Katrina on the quest, and if both adults went along, you have the added intrigue of (1) Lilia gets to go on a dangerous, scary, magical fairy quest, bringing her back to the childhood in the woods that she misses so dearly, but possibly teaching her that the safety of her human household is preferable (or the reverse, teaching her that it's too boring), and (2) Lilia and Malik may have the opportunity to rekindle their romance in person.

It's a start anyway. *Bigsmile* I'm interested in what other ideas come out of the discussion. I love *Lightning*brainstorming*Lightning* . *Heart*

Cheers,
Michelle
MESSAGE THREAD
I still don't know what my story is · 10-09-14 6:52am
by MontyB
*Exclaim*Re: I still don't know what my story is · 10-09-14 7:48am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: I still don't know what my story is · 10-09-14 7:57am
by Future Mrs. B celebrates WDC
Re: Re: I still don't know what my story is · 10-09-14 8:12am
by MontyB
Re: Re: Re: I still don't know what my story is · 10-09-14 8:14am
by MontyB
Re: Re: Re: Re: I still don't know what my story is · 10-09-14 8:17am
by MontyB
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I still don't know what my story is · 10-09-14 8:26am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I still don't know what my story is · 10-09-14 12:19pm
by Fancy
Re: I still don't know what my story is · 10-09-14 8:07am
by Storm Machine

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online