About This Author
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 30, 2014 at 6:44am
Re: Summing up October

I wouldn't call those two years slacking. You put in time and got ready to write the book.
Now I'm going to be trying to remember this quote that always motivates me. "You write what you're ready for." Now you're ready, and now you'll write, but if you didn't have those two years and finding your way into the Prep, you wouldn't have been ready when you found it.

Anyway. I have done these assignments on my own before writing a novel, and I will do so again. There have been a couple in the past (like commitment letters) that I would skip, but I make lists in my current notebook or database for what my novel needs and I make the Prep work for each assignment. But I'm a plotter, and that makes me work better.

I am less focused when it comes to shorter works, but I think I still need some of this, so it might get changed into something I can use for a 5k short story (mini outline, few characters and voices, plus premise). I've noticed this as I try to write above 1k but less than a novel, and I think doing a little bit more preparation is what I need.

I have a project with major world building that I've been working for more off than on for the past 8 years. It's the one I joined WDC to learn more about and dedicate myself so I could finish. 2015 might be my year to put it all together, and it's exciting. Well, maybe not all of it. It's a series, but if I can get that first novel down (which as an outline, major characters, couple maps, and most of the Prep completed at least once) I think it'll all flow more smoothly.

Good luck next month and congratulations!
From my secret pal
MESSAGE THREAD
Summing up October · 10-30-14 4:55am
by Medvekoma
*Exclaim*Re: Summing up October · 10-30-14 6:44am
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: Summing up October · 10-31-14 8:56am
by Cheri Annemos
Re: Re: Re: Summing up October · 10-31-14 10:50am
by Crys-not really here
Re: Re: Re: Re: Summing up October · 10-31-14 2:14pm
by Cheri Annemos
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Summing up October · 10-31-14 2:44pm
by Crys-not really here
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Summing up October · 10-31-14 4:27pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Summing up October · 10-31-14 5:18pm
by Cheri Annemos

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online