About This Author
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 2, 2015 at 7:17am
Re: Conflict Resolution
Shazi, I love that you clarified you create conflict IN YOUR WRITING. *Laugh*

This is a great question, and I can't wait to hear everyone's ideas. It's one of the reasons I like prepping so much. When you're pansting, and you write your characters into a corner without an escape plan, it's tempting to turn to cheesy plot devices like Deus ex Machina (god-like person or situation who is able to resolve the conflict for the character - sort of literary "divine intervention") or colossal coincidence. But if you're planning your novel, and you created conflict at the outline stage, it's easy to go back earlier in your outline and do things like create a Deus ex Machina that's less cheesy and more realistic (a character or situation that began to unfold long before the conflict occurred, so it doesn't look contrived), or maybe a Chekhov's Gun (still a colossal coincidence, but not one that came out of nowhere - that gun hanging on the wall in scene two will just happen to be in the right place at the right time in scene 37.)

Cheers,
Michelle
MESSAGE THREAD
Conflict Resolution · 10-02-15 1:39am
by Shaziane
*Exclaim*Re: Conflict Resolution · 10-02-15 7:17am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Conflict Resolution · 10-04-15 1:15am
by Shaziane
Re: Conflict Resolution · 10-03-15 2:48am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Conflict Resolution · 10-03-15 8:29pm
by Shanachie
Re: Re: Conflict Resolution · 10-04-15 1:13am
by Shaziane
Re: Re: Re: Conflict Resolution · 10-04-15 2:43am
by ZombeeLuv
Re: Re: Re: Re: Conflict Resolution · 10-04-15 3:44am
by Shaziane
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Conflict Resolution · 10-04-15 4:22am
by ZombeeLuv
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Conflict Resolution · 10-04-15 9:46am
by Shanachie
Re: Re: Re: Conflict Resolution · 10-04-15 7:44am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online