About This Author
Brandiwyn🎶 , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 3, 2015 at 1:48am
Edited: October 3, 2015 at 1:59am
Re: Re: Historian's Obsession...
Thanks for the voluntary linguistic services! Fortunately, my Latin is good enough that I can pass with the Roman aspects of this novel, and I'm using Latin thinking as a sort of basis. When something has been Anglicized, it's basically been Latinized

Moira is the transliteration of the Greek for fate, the singular for the Moirai (the Fates). Basically, Moira has the actual Greek word for fate as her name. The Virgin Mary doesn't exist in this world, and certainly wouldn't be of any import to the people of Eire, who live under the control and auspices of the Goddess. The story actually takes place in about the 2nd-3rd century AD...or, at least, the technological equivalent. The Celts, of course, didn't have their own written alphabet, so they adopted the Greek and Latin alphabets, with the Latin being more prevalent in the Western Celtic lands (where the Romans were more prevalent). So her name would be written using Latin letters, which are similar to modern English. Then again, Moira can't really read or write, so it hardly matters.

Her family traded extensively in the East for many years. Basically, I'm arguing that Moira's mother heard the word, liked it, and gave it to her daughter. They also stylized themselves in a far more Eastern manner (given name, family name, no cognomen) in order to make it easier for the Tiberians to pronounce it. Hence, her name is Moira Tiernay instead of Moira Ni Tighearnaigh (Moira, daughter of a descendant of Tighearnaigh). I'm arguing that Moira Tiernay is the Latin version of the Greek Μοιρα and Gaelic Tighearnaigh. In the former, it's more literal; in the latter, it's a bit Anglicized, but as English uses the Latin alphabet (for the most part, of course), I figure it's OK.

Heck, I'd write the novel using Cyrillic letters and the classical Latin alphabet if I could, but I suppose I need to make myself understood to my audience...
-Quaddy

*Reading* Check this Out! *Reading*
 The Earth Rising Quartet  (XGC)
Five-hundred years ago, Earth lost its rebellion. Now it's time for it to rise again...
#1837269 by Professor Q

*Down*Come Join In!*Down*
 The Dissolution of Alkonost   (GC)
A desert metropolis falls and magick fails in its seams. Who dares rise to save it?
#1968212 by Professor Q

*ThumbsUp*Great Contest Alert!*ThumbsUp*
FORUM
World Weavers' Championship  (13+)
Closed for judging
#2012128 by Tileira

A signature commissioned by my August SA and made by the lovely Pixie

"Make music. Break Boundaries. End Hate." Professor Q
MESSAGE THREAD
Historian's Obsession... · 10-03-15 12:37am
by Professor Q
Re: Historian's Obsession... · 10-03-15 1:20am
by Eric the Fred
*Exclaim*Re: Re: Historian's Obsession... · 10-03-15 1:48am
by Professor Q
Re: Historian's Obsession... · 10-03-15 7:18am
by Brandiwyn🎶
Re: Re: Historian's Obsession... · 10-03-15 5:23pm
by Professor Q
Re: Re: Re: Historian's Obsession... · 10-03-15 5:37pm
by Brandiwyn🎶
Re: Re: Re: Re: Historian's Obsession... · 10-03-15 9:22pm
by Professor Q

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Brandiwyn🎶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online