About This Author
Brandiwyn🎶 , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 6, 2016 at 12:25pm
Here There Be Monsters
by Noyoki
At four this morning, I woke up to the sound of a monster clawing its way out from under my bed. Me and this fellow have a history you see, and it came back to sit on my chest and tap me on the forehead with its evil claws.

This monster has a name. Doubt.

I can’t write this story. Heck, I can’t write at all. Nothing I write will ever be any good. It’s awful, everything is terrible, and I should just give up now before I dig myself any deeper.

Tap, tap, tap.

It’s easy to listen to the monster when it comes calling in the middle of the night. Easy to fall into the darkness and give in.

But …

But. One small little word, yet one we can forge a sword out of to slay the Doubt.

Yes, everything I write right now might feel like crap, but do you know what I’ve learned? That a few weeks from now, or a few months, I’ll go back and read what I’ve written. And to my amazement, its not as horrid as I remember while writing it.

The hardest thing ever is to keep writing when it feels like all your doing is shoveling crap from a seated position, but don’t give up. Don’t let the monster win. Don’t listen to the voices in the night.

I won’t promise that what you’re working on will be amazing, or great, or even good. What I can promise is that if you keep going, it will get better.

“There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
- Ernest Hemingway

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
- Winston Churchill

“The worst thing you write is better than the best thing you did not write.”
- Unknown
MESSAGE THREAD
*Exclaim*
Here There Be Monsters
· 10-06-16 12:25pm
by Noyoki
Re: Here There Be Monsters · 10-06-16 12:28pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Here There Be Monsters · 10-06-16 1:01pm
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: Here There Be Monsters · 10-06-16 1:32pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Here There Be Monsters · 10-06-16 1:48pm
by Dobie Mom
Re: Re: Re: Re: Here There Be Monsters · 10-06-16 1:56pm
by Noyoki

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Brandiwyn🎶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online