About This Author
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 8, 2016 at 12:12am
Day 7 rant
Lots of things to think about here. I had to concentrate on the stuff that's most relevant to the story.

I know that as I progress in this, I'll have to come up with more. Everything is interconnected, even across interstellar space, and something that may seem trivial now can influence events disproportionately once the ramifications become apparent.

There's a trap a lot of science fiction (and fantasy) writers fall into, which is to give each planet one defining attribute. Arrakis is a desert world. So is Tattooine. Hoth is an ice planet. And so on. They become nothing more than expansions of a single ecosystem on Earth, at which point you start wondering why bother having other planets at all?

Any planet that's going to support life is going to have diverse ecosystems. Probably. Even if a planet's entirely covered in water, the ocean near the equator is going to be different than it is near the poles, because of temperature differences. Exceptions might exist; we don't know. But even Mars has different zones, and a volcano that pierces the atmosphere, and ice caps, and it (probably) doesn't support life.

Imagine a flying-saucer alien crash-landing in the Sahara. It might think Earth is a desert planet. One that crashes in the Amazon will have an entirely different perspective.

So I try to keep that in mind when designing worlds. Most of them will have more than one ecosystem, terrain, or climate.

Dang it. I'm going to totally steal this from myself for the next Fantasy newsletter.

sig by legerdemain

C'=='==============>'
the pun is mightier than the sword
MESSAGE THREAD
*Exclaim*
Day 7 rant
· 10-08-16 12:12am
by Waltz en France
Re: Day 7 rant · 10-08-16 12:18am
by SB Musing
Re: Day 7 rant · 10-08-16 6:53am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Day 7 rant · 10-08-16 8:30am
by Storm Machine
Re: Day 7 rant · 10-08-16 2:14pm
by Noyoki
Re: Re: Day 7 rant · 10-08-16 2:40pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Re: Day 7 rant · 10-08-16 2:41pm
by Noyoki

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online