About This Author
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 8, 2016 at 5:37am
Re: Re: Re: Re: A Elmore Leonard Quote for today and a bi...
by A Non-Existent User
Medi, it's that way with my accent. I grew up moving a lot and though people claim there is only one Arkansas accent they are so very wrong. There are actually three. From my birthplace in North East Arkansas down the eastern delta area and across the southern section where the largest bayou in the world is. (Louisianna may have more but we have the biggest.) We speak what people think of as an Arkansas accent. We hit our r's hard and have just about as close to a Scotts and Irish brogue blend as you can get and still sound southern.

Then in central Arkansas, where we like to believe we are more sophisticated, it's softened a lot. People attempt to enunciate clearly and try to avoid sounding like a dumb hick. I remember my mother telling me, If I couldn't speak clearly with proper English people would never take me seriously. She worked hard to be taken seriously.

Then there is the North East Corner. Which is a strange place. We have crafters of all types come to the North East from all over the world. Want a blacksmith to make you some horseshoes for your horse the old-fashioned way. We have them. Need a reiki massage from someone working in the spa of the Haunted Hotel? Well, we have that too. I swear Eureka Springs had to be settled by gypsies. It's hard to explain their accent its a blend of the other two with some hints toward perhaps Native American.

I have lived in all three places plus central and southern Missouri. My accent is something of a combination of all of that with the added addition of a choir teacher who drilled into our heads that we must enunciate and sing tall not wide. No one ever knows where I am from.

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
"October Novel Prep Challenge Group
Check out my Rising Stars Bookiemonster Outasync Grace♥Leo health issues & bumfuzzled
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
A Elmore Leonard Quote for today and a bit of a Rant · 10-07-16 5:07pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: A Elmore Leonard Quote for today and a bit of a Rant · 10-07-16 5:19pm
by Choconut
Re: Re: A Elmore Leonard Quote for today and a bit of a Rant · 10-07-16 5:32pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: A Elmore Leonard Quote for today and a bit of... · 10-07-16 7:32pm
by Shanachie
Re: Re: Re: Re: A Elmore Leonard Quote for today and a bi... · 10-07-16 8:12pm
by Storm Machine
*Exclaim*Re: Re: Re: Re: A Elmore Leonard Quote for today and a bi... · 10-08-16 5:37am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A Elmore Leonard Quote for today and ... · 10-08-16 8:59am
by Shanachie

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online