About This Author
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 12, 2016 at 9:15pm
Day 12 rant
So. Many. Ideas.

They're coming to me faster now, to the point where - and this is the "rant" part - now I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to fit them all into 50k words.

Well, I don't need to, I suppose. It's always good to have more background information than the readers do. I always urge writers to brainstorm a lot of background, and then keep most of it to themselves - and reveal parts of it a bit at a time, not all at once in an info dump.

It isn't background I worked on today, though, but plot twists and the general mechanics of living in the setting I've come up with (it's a large but closed ecosystem on what's otherwise an uninhabitable world). Still, the same rule applies: if you spend too much time telling people about the mechanics of things, they'll quickly get bored and go watch television.

So I suppose the TMI problem is a good one to have. Beats the alternative (TLI?)

sig by legerdemain

C'=='==============>'
the pun is mightier than the sword
MESSAGE THREAD
*Exclaim*
Day 12 rant
· 10-12-16 9:15pm
by Waltz en France
Re: Day 12 rant · 10-13-16 9:58am
by Carol St.Ann

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online