About This Author
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 27, 2016 at 1:18pm
Day 27 rant
Of course, I want to start with a narrative hook. You should, too. That particular literary device is indispensable, in my opinion. It's also damn hard. Best advice I can give? Start with something active. It doesn't have to be an action hero jumping out of an airplane; it can be something like making a cup of coffee, provided you throw in something unexpected. By all that's holy and literate, don't lead with "John Smith was a 37-year-old divorced man from Poughkeepsie." Even though there's something inherently funny about Poughkeepsie.

The struggle I'm having now is that I want a linear narrative, but I don't want the opening to be boring. And yet, the opening will be boring unless I throw in some stuff from later in the story.

I think I've resolved this. Maybe. I know I can, and should, always go back and edit, but if I'm arguing in my head about how to open the story when Tuesday rolls along, I'm not exactly going to be off on a running start. If, on the other hand, I know exactly how this thing's going to start, then I can just write. Which is the idea, isn't it?

Hell hath no fury like

C'=='==============>'
the pun is mightier than the sword
MESSAGE THREAD
*Exclaim*
Day 27 rant
· 10-27-16 1:18pm
by Waltz en France
Re: Day 27 rant · 10-27-16 1:52pm
by QPdoll
Re: Re: Day 27 rant · 10-27-16 3:35pm
by Quick-Quill
Re: Re: Re: Day 27 rant · 10-27-16 3:37pm
by QPdoll
Re: Re: Re: Day 27 rant · 10-27-16 4:40pm
by Noyoki
Re: Re: Re: Day 27 rant · 10-27-16 5:16pm
by Waltz en France
Re: Re: Re: Re: Day 27 rant · 10-27-16 7:04pm
by Quick-Quill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Day 27 rant · 10-28-16 5:34am
by QPdoll

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online