About This Author
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 1, 2017 at 11:21am
Tip-Write For Yourself
Okay, I am going to step on a soap box and be opinionated, even though my opinions are subjective. *Wink* I am just sharing a secret of mine I use when I write fiction.

Sometimes it can be easy to write what's popular, trendy, and avoid all tropes. Sometimes it's too easy to ask "what can I do for the market?" But in my opinion, these questions might have the power to stifle what you want to write. So, I just wanted to share a writing philosophy of mine. For NaNo, you're in this for yourself. So maybe you really want to write a common trope that's been done to death and it's considered a "no-no". But at this stage, I would like to think that you are the only person you have to please with your manuscript. It might be a hard thing to do at this stage, I know. But for me, the first draft (especially in NaNo) is just to write for fun. Because if you are writing something trendy and you aren't having fun, it seems like it would be a waste of your time.

Just write that trope anyways, if that's what you would like to do best. *BigSmile*

My point of this post is simple: Don't let what the writing community says about writing stifle what you want to create. Don't let them define you. Don't worry if your desired idea is considered "cliche" or "tropey", or not "trendy" enough in the community. Work on your novel as a piece of art, by how you define it as a piece of art.

Because it shows when you are invested in your story. This is how I personally get my words in for NaNo, and it's how I get my assignments done for PrepMo. Chances are, your story might be completely different anyways by the time you finish all copy edits, and all of that other junk.

Okay, stepping off my soap box now. I just thought I would share this.

For the Paper Doll Gang
MESSAGE THREAD
*Exclaim*
Tip-Write For Yourself
· 10-01-17 11:21am
by Anders J. Miller-Go Big Red!
Re: Tip-Write For Yourself · 10-01-17 11:29am
by S Ferguson~ Prepping for Prep
Re: Re: Tip-Write For Yourself · 10-01-17 11:33am
Re: Re: Re: Tip-Write For Yourself · 10-01-17 1:22pm
by Sally
Re: Re: Re: Re: Tip-Write For Yourself · 10-01-17 1:28pm
Re: Tip-Write For Yourself · 10-01-17 4:30pm
by Storm Machine

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online