About This Author
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 11, 2017 at 9:56am
Re: When Your Antagonist Isn't a Person

Ha. Well...

I realized every time I pull up this prep that my antagonist is NOT a person. My antagonist is situational: my protagonist is in an accident on her bicycle when she gets hit by a car. In this book, a lot of the problems stem from this accident and all of the things that go along with trying to heal from these injuries.

At the root of it lies the trauma of this accident. It isn't about the car's driver, or the doctor who treats her, but the actual workings within her body and brain. At first it'll feel like the physical injuries. Then it will be the mind that has to heal beyond where the body has gone.

I was teasing in scroll about the bones saying, "I didn't mean to break." and the muscles saying, "I didn't mean to atrophy." And the ligaments not meaning to stretch - but if I dig into the brain's workings, trauma is stored in the hippocampus, and it cannot be reasoned through because it is stored before all the reasoning capacity in the brain. It's one reason talk therapy doesn't work for PTSD.

So my poor character is going to be sent off into all of these different avenues of therapy unwilling, and eventually we'll come to a point where she's whole again. I can't wait to write those scenes.

Bring on your antagonists. The more suffering for your protagonist, the better.
From my secret pal
MESSAGE THREAD
When Your Antagonist Isn't a Person · 10-11-17 9:16am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
*Exclaim*Re: When Your Antagonist Isn't a Person · 10-11-17 9:56am
by Storm Machine

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online