About This Author
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 21, 2017 at 10:11pm
Day 21 Rant
You know, the "all five senses" thing isn't just for this exercise. The great thing about writing, as opposed to other storytelling, is that you *can* use more than two senses (the most obvious ones: sight and hearing).

There's something about smell, especially, that's evocative. Attempts to use it directly in other media have been laughably juvenile. Better to write a scene such as the classic Star Wars Death Star trash compactor: "What an incredible smell you've discovered!"

If it weren't a movie, though - and I haven't read the novelization since it first came out, lo these many decades ago, so I don't remember how it was handled there - you could do so much more.

Enough of that, for now. Maybe I'll do next week's Fantasy newsletter about sense writing.

In the meantime, I'm afraid I'm not putting my money where my fingers are - I won't be entering the contest, again. Still, it's a great exercise, not just for this activity, but for any scene you want to write.

"...from the darkness" sig

C'=='==============>'
the pun is mightier than the sword
MESSAGE THREAD
*Exclaim*
Day 21 Rant
· 10-21-17 10:11pm
by Waltz en France

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online