About This Author
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 22, 2017 at 5:51pm
Escalating
by Joy
This afternoon I was in Barnes&Noble's. I found a book titled Story Trumps Structure by StevenJames

In the escalation section, he is giving some pretty good ideas to work with. I am going to order the book on Nook, later, but in the meantime, I took notes on the escalation section. Now, we all know these, probably, but seeing them altogether gave me some ideas.
In case it helps you, too, here are my notes on the nine ways to escalation, which I think he means climax, in five-point structure, but we might like to use them wherever.

Escalation

* Escalate in proximity (The danger is getting closer)
* Escalate in magnitude
* Give a countdown to impending tragedy (ticking clock-I think)
* Decrease the amount of time available to solve the problem (Another ticking clock, maybe)
* Let the readers see the impending threat or menace
* Include progressively more difficult dramas
* Make it personal (for the protagonist) (NYC is in danger. Protagonist's grandma is there)
* Raise the stakes (Make the consequences of failure more severe.)
* Isolate your protagonist (Almost everyone turns their backs on him or he can't for some reason tell anyone what's happening to him.)
* Escalate the setbacks.

========

Lucasmom2000's gift

RAOK's logo image.  This is a shared image, so feel free to use its item number.
image by SMS

Candytuft Flower Fairy Signature Journal    #1096
Wander through a garden of lovely flowers and fairies as you journal your private thoughts of life and love.

Your Price: $14.99

ASIN: B005E834RE
Product Type: Kindle Store
Amazon's Price: $ 1.99
MESSAGE THREAD
*Exclaim*
Escalating
· 10-22-17 5:51pm
by Joy
Re: Escalating · 10-22-17 7:12pm
by Sally

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online