About This Author
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 24, 2017 at 7:46am
Re: Re: Genuinely inspired idea vs plagerizing anothers idea
InkSpout , I agree wtih Christopher Roy Denton .

I do not see this as an automatic exclusion for publication. First, write your piece.

Remember 50 Shades of Gray? It began as fanfiction for Twilight... Which means it had the same main characters, Bella and Edward. The premise was they were a couple years older and would be involved in a a specific intimate relationship. This was not branded as plagiarism, but the characters were renamed before publication. I'm not sure what else changed. But both of those made quite a bit of money, and even into movies.

You could compare Harry Potter to Narnia in the way that they are both British boarding school novels. They're not the same, but they have a few basic ideas in common. And your execution of that idea will be different.

My current project, that I'd like to publish, has enough of a semblance of Firefly that about half (or a few more) of the readers have recognized and pointed that out. I don't mind. It'll still be publishable when I finish it.

From my secret pal
MESSAGE THREAD
Genuinely inspired idea vs plagerizing anothers idea · 10-24-17 3:06am
by InkSpout
Re: Genuinely inspired idea vs plagerizing anothers idea · 10-24-17 3:10am
by Shaye
Re: Re: Genuinely inspired idea vs plagerizing anothers idea · 10-24-17 3:21am
by InkSpout
Re: Re: Re: Genuinely inspired idea vs plagerizing anothe... · 10-24-17 3:27am
by Shaye
Re: Genuinely inspired idea vs plagerizing anothers idea · 10-24-17 7:27am
by Christopher Roy Denton
*Exclaim*Re: Re: Genuinely inspired idea vs plagerizing anothers idea · 10-24-17 7:46am
by Storm Machine

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online