About This Author
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 28, 2017 at 9:12pm
Day 28 Rant
Like what seems to be most of the country, I've been watching Stranger Things 2 on Netflix.

I hate jumping on bandwagons - never could get into Game of Thrones, for instance, though I read the first few books - but it's a good story.

Of course, being a wannabe writer, I can't watch it just to enjoy it; I have to analyze exactly *why* it's a good story.

My answer to that is complicated, and I'm not going to go into all the details here, but I will say it's not just one thing. Plot, characterization, character development, action, dialogue, creation of suspense, pacing, and other things, sure; also things unique to visual media such as acting, wardrobe, set design, special effects, and (without spoiling anything) the artistic effort in creating what's essentially alien life-forms.

I will say one thing: If you're going to make a scary movie, don't put the most frightening possible thing in the first scene. The show's set in 1984. I lived through 1984, so seeing a "Reagan/Bush 1984" yard sign induced more nightmares in me than any amount of manufactured horror or suspense could.

But I digress. My point is, sometimes we have to see details, and sometimes we have to see the big picture. When we're writing a novel, we have to switch back and forth. I was never very good at that (even though I was trained as an engineer), but I've gotten better. You take each of the elements I mentioned above, and others that I can't think of right now, and they're your building blocks to crafting a story. Each depends on the others to some extent, but the overall story depends on every one of them.

Writing is hard. If it weren't, everyone could do it.

"...from the darkness" sig

C'=='==============>'
the pun is mightier than the sword
MESSAGE THREAD
*Exclaim*
Day 28 Rant
· 10-28-17 9:12pm
by Waltz en France
Re: Day 28 Rant · 10-29-17 10:43pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online