About This Author
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 2, 2018 at 10:09pm
Day 2 thoughts (and 3, because I'm an overachiever)
Day 1 asked "What if?"

For me, Day 2 asked "Why?"

I love that day 2 has us dive right in to the 2 most important character aspects you need to think about: flaws and motivations. Both are key components to an interesting story. Without flaws, nobody is going to like or care about your character. Without motivation, your characters are just going to sit there and twiddle their thumbs.

Nobody wanders into conflict just to entertain the reader. They need a reason to jump in over their heads (and quite frankly, if Mr. No-Flaws had jumped in over his head, I'm not sure I'd care enough to look for a lifeguard...)

The protagonist isn't the only one that needs motivation. I'll argue the antagonist needs even stronger motivation.

For more thoughts on motivation: https://www.emwelsh.com/blog/character-motivation

And now... Day 3!

The beginning. I love imagining my protagonist's comfortable little world. It may not be perfect, but humans create their own "normal" and we get comfortable in it. Katniss in Hunger Games was hardly comfortable in the normal sense of the word, but she had her familiar routines and things and people. Think Harry Potter in his little cupboard under the stairs or Jon Snow living with his family, despite being seen as an unwanted illegitimate son by most. These are not necessarily happy beginnings, but they are still comfortable.

And then <insert evil cackle emoticon here> we get to completely mess it up for them. That's the fun part. *Wink*

*Books3**Books6* Sarah Rae *Books4**Books1*

Rate Yourself!  [E]
How would you rate yourself as an author based on the Writing.Com system?
by Sarah Rae

Merit Badge in Attention to Detail
[Click For More Info]

Congratulations for winning second place in Round 103 of  Crack Kraken's Code Contest. Merit Badge in Dialogue
[Click For More Info]

For filling out your  BioBlock ! Merit Badge in Visit WdC 7
[Click For More Info]

Awarded for  visiting the site every day for a week . This badge can be earned over and over again.  Each of these badges adds one (1) Community Recognition!
MESSAGE THREAD
*Exclaim*
Day 2 thoughts (and 3, because I'm an overachiever)
· 10-02-18 10:09pm
by Sarah Rae
Re: Day 2 thoughts (and 3, because I'm an overachiever) · 10-03-18 3:31am
by Elle - on hiatus
Re: Re: Day 2 thoughts (and 3, because I'm an overachiever) · 10-03-18 9:12am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Re: Day 2 thoughts (and 3, because I'm an overach... · 10-04-18 4:03am
by Elle - on hiatus
Re: Day 2 thoughts (and 3, because I'm an overachiever) · 10-03-18 9:10am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Day 2 thoughts (and 3, because I'm an overachiever) · 10-03-18 4:48pm
by Sarah Rae
Re: Day 2 thoughts (and 3, because I'm an overachiever) · 10-04-18 5:04pm
by Dobie Mom
Re: Re: Day 2 thoughts (and 3, because I'm an overachiever) · 10-04-18 8:58pm
by Elycia Lee ā˜®

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online