About This Author
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 9, 2018 at 11:31am
Plotting Growth
So, I have a sick child today which means an unexpected extra day off, so I decided to catch up on Prep (phew!).

As I was writing out my rising action/very very rough outline, I reflected on my own post last night about character-drive plots. So, I returned to my bullet points (there aren't many, like I said, it's a very rough outline), and listed what important character trait/growth spurs each action. Character growth is an important part of the rising action, after all. Your character shouldn't be capable of overcoming the antagonist in the beginning of your story and the events of the story should shape them into the person that is able to step into the climax and succeed.

For example, in the beginning of my story, my main protagonist is insecure and feels unloved. She's more inclined to let the "smarter people" make the decisions. Mid-story she's speaking up more but still seeks other's approval for her plans and is more inclined to let others run the show still. Nearing the climax, she's much more vocal and argues with the others more and more. Until the end when she ignores their advice entirely and acts on her own, creating the series of events that leads to the end.

My secondary protagonist has a slightly smaller, subtler growth arc. He's revenge-obsessed but tells himself he just wants to make the world a better place (which he does, but that is secondary, he also looks down on others for not recognizing things he believes to be obvious). Later, he recognizes that his actions are selfish and he begins to act more selflessly until the end when he is able to feel pity for those he once despised and his motives are finally driven by the desire to help others. His goals don't really change, but his motivation does.

*Books3**Books6* Sarah Rae *Books4**Books1*

Rate Yourself!  [E]
How would you rate yourself as an author based on the Writing.Com system?
by Sarah Rae

Merit Badge in Judging
[Click For More Info]

Thank you for judging Contest Round 1 at  [Link To Item #1474311] ! Merit Badge in Novels
[Click For More Info]

Congratulations on winning the first place in second contest(Anatagonist Backstory) of  [Link To Item #1474311] . Wish you all the best for yourr novel. May your antagonist thrive almost throughout the story. *^*Pthb*^* Merit Badge in Visit WdC 7
[Click For More Info]

Awarded for  visiting the site every day for a week . This badge can be earned over and over again.  Each of these badges adds one (1) Community Recognition!
MESSAGE THREAD
*Exclaim*
Plotting Growth
· 10-09-18 11:31am
by Sarah Rae

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online