About This Author
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 14, 2018 at 10:12am
Re: Characters: How Many is Too Many?
I think the answer to that is in the story you're telling. Some novels only need a couple characters and they hold all the action between them. Others require major and minor charterers, only some of whom need an arc.

I'm thinking about Run, by Ann Patchett. Entire book takes 24 hours. There is a family involved: two parents and two boys who meet a girl and her mother because of an accident. Minor character as a nurse or University employee? Not needed. The father, both boys, the girl have arcs. Both mothers add layers to the tale. It's literary so if you have a commercial market in mind it'll be different.

Don't think you need a specific number. Tell the story and allow it to be a guide. Sometimes a second draft can weave a character through different positions- George RR Martin did this for the show GoT where in the books he could have a larger cast. (I guess Hollywood didn't want to kill that many extras every week.)

From my secret pal
MESSAGE THREAD
Characters: How Many is Too Many? · 10-12-18 10:03am
by Shaye
Re: Characters: How Many is Too Many? · 10-12-18 10:47am
by Anders J. Miller-Go Big Red!
Re: Re: Characters: How Many is Too Many? · 10-12-18 3:18pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Characters: How Many is Too Many? · 10-13-18 2:53am
by Shaye
Re: Re: Re: Re: Characters: How Many is Too Many? · 10-13-18 9:04am
by A Non-Existent User
*Exclaim*Re: Characters: How Many is Too Many? · 10-14-18 10:12am
by Storm Machine

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online