About This Author
Brandiwyn🎶 , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 30, 2019 at 1:57pm
Edited: September 30, 2019 at 1:59pm
Re: Re: Re: I plan to try something new. Anyone else?
How cool, to switch up genres! The great thing about fantasy and sci-fi is that they're hyper-real in a lot of ways. They're not sparkly foo-foo magic—they're an amazing arena for exploring really gritty and relevant real-life (or near-future) themes or fears in a world comfortably removed from our own.

Isaac Asimov wrote about robots, and also about what it means to be human. (Speaking of that theme, BBC's Humans is really cool.) Michael Crichton explored people as much as he explored awe-inspiring scientific developments. Fantasy and sci-fi are really, really great places for very human stories. It's just that the stakes tend to be higher. Family, friendships, and relationships are awesome themes that you could definitely carry over into a fantasy world if they consistently inspire you, but family and friendship amidst interplanetary war or relationships with literal lightyears between them add a bit of flavor.

All the best to you in your prep this year!

I'm trying some new things this year, but not quite as big as exploring a new genre! I tend to write character-focused fantasy and sci-fi, but one of my favorite themes is Individual vs. Institution (and all the possible flavors of that!), and I want to try something brand new. I also (rather terrifyingly) am going to be dealing with a much bigger timeline than I'd anticipated. Normally, when I write novels, they take place over a few weeks at most. I think this one is going to span years of the protagonist's life, and I'm not sure how I feel about that, yet.

- -

"Let me live, love and say it well
in good sentences."
- Sylvia Plath

*MushroomB* *Books3**Books5* "â–º The Bookshelf â—„ *Books5**Books2* *MushroomB*
MESSAGE THREAD
I plan to try something new. Anyone else? · 09-30-19 11:35am
by Joy
Re: I plan to try something new. Anyone else? · 09-30-19 11:53am
by Waltz en France
Re: Re: I plan to try something new. Anyone else? · 09-30-19 1:39pm
by Joy
*Exclaim*Re: Re: Re: I plan to try something new. Anyone else? · 09-30-19 1:57pm
by Roseille ♥
Re: Re: Re: Re: I plan to try something new. Anyone else? · 09-30-19 2:02pm
by Sharon.NJ
Re: Re: Re: Re: I plan to try something new. Anyone else? · 09-30-19 10:03pm
by Brandiwyn🎶
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I plan to try something new. Anyone e... · 09-30-19 10:21pm
by Roseille ♥
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I plan to try something new. Anyo... · 09-30-19 10:34pm
by Brandiwyn🎶
Re: I plan to try something new. Anyone else? · 09-30-19 11:56am
by Sharon.NJ
Re: I plan to try something new. Anyone else? · 09-30-19 9:54pm
by Brandiwyn🎶
Re: I plan to try something new. Anyone else? · 09-30-19 10:27pm
by Past Member 'bobturn'

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Brandiwyn🎶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online