About This Author
Brandiwyn🎶 , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 30, 2019 at 10:21pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I plan to try something new. Anyone e...
I think so! I was mentally working over some of the activities because I'm way too excited to wait two hours until October 1st, WDC time, and I think it will be! A trilogy, at least. I have never worked with an idea this big and am trying to figure out whether I need to slash it.

On top of that, it looks like it will start with my protagonist at 14 and my other main character at 20, and at least three years will pass over the course of the first novel.

That's a bit terrifying for me, because I'm not sure it's even something that's done in fiction. It's a marketing disaster. After all, genre is determined by character age in a lot of ways, in the market. I write adult fiction and the content of the novel will probably reflect that, so I don't know if I should age my character up to make it a bit more genre-appropriate, or just go with what I have. Or maybe throw the novel idea in the trash and cry a little.

I'm really passionate about the idea and have been developing the universe in my head for a long while now, but I'm not sure if the story could ever get off the ground. *Cry*

Series like Harry Potter could get away with aging up because a) it was gradual and b) many readers grew up with the character.

Maybe I should cut down/condense the idea a bit so the protagonist is of genre-appropriate age faster...

- -

"Let me live, love and say it well
in good sentences."
- Sylvia Plath

*MushroomB* *Books3**Books5* "Invalid Item *Books5**Books2* *MushroomB*
MESSAGE THREAD
I plan to try something new. Anyone else? · 09-30-19 11:35am
by Joy
Re: I plan to try something new. Anyone else? · 09-30-19 11:53am
by Waltz en France
Re: Re: I plan to try something new. Anyone else? · 09-30-19 1:39pm
by Joy
Re: Re: Re: I plan to try something new. Anyone else? · 09-30-19 1:57pm
by Roseille ♥
Re: Re: Re: Re: I plan to try something new. Anyone else? · 09-30-19 2:02pm
by Sharon.NJ
Re: Re: Re: Re: I plan to try something new. Anyone else? · 09-30-19 10:03pm
by Brandiwyn🎶
*Exclaim*Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I plan to try something new. Anyone e... · 09-30-19 10:21pm
by Roseille ♥
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I plan to try something new. Anyo... · 09-30-19 10:34pm
by Brandiwyn🎶
Re: I plan to try something new. Anyone else? · 09-30-19 11:56am
by Sharon.NJ
Re: I plan to try something new. Anyone else? · 09-30-19 9:54pm
by Brandiwyn🎶
Re: I plan to try something new. Anyone else? · 09-30-19 10:27pm
by Past Member 'bobturn'

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Brandiwyn🎶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online