About This Author
BattywynšŸŽ¶ , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 15, 2020 at 12:14pm
Re: Plot Outline
Hi there! As I read your question, I looked in my little stash of writing books.

Here's a good idea from Anne Lamott from her book, 'Bird by Bird': "Plot grows out of character. If you focus on who the people in your story are, if you sit and write about two people you know and are getting to know better day by day, something is bound to happen......Characters should not, conversely, serve as pawns for some plot you've dreamed up. Any plot you impose on your characters will be onomatopoeia: PLOT. I say don't worry about plot. Worry about the characters. ......Focus on the characters. Let them do whatever they will do.....Your plot will fall into place as, one day at a time, you listen to your characters carefully, and watch them move around doing and saying things and bumping into each other.....This process of discovering the story will often take place in fits and starts. Don't worry about it. Keep trying to move the story forward....."

And I say, yes! That is good advice. Live with your characters. Get to know them like you know your family and friends. They are, after all, your creations. You know them, or should know them, as well as you know yourself.

Good luck!

Queen Norma Jean *Crown*

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.
MESSAGE THREAD
Plot Outline · 10-15-20 11:12am
by Odessa Molinari
*Exclaim*Re: Plot Outline · 10-15-20 12:14pm
by QueenNormaJean Let's Go!Go!Go!
Re: Re: Plot Outline · 10-15-20 12:25pm
by Odessa Molinari
Re: Re: Re: Plot Outline · 10-15-20 3:04pm
by QueenNormaJean Let's Go!Go!Go!

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BattywynšŸŽ¶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online