About This Author
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 20, 2020 at 8:49am
Edited: October 20, 2020 at 10:16am
Politics
It's cultural setting day, one of my favorites. We get to muse about the ordinary lives of our characters and how they're influenced by the dreaded duo of Religion and Politics. Salem witch trials, anyone? A wealthy Capital appeasing its citizens with an annual Battle Royale featuring starving school-aged children? The baffling influence of a creepy mayor in a tiny town called Schitt's Creek?

Sarah Rae already brought up the Big R, so now let's talk Politics.

It's the (metaphoric) eve of US presidential elections, which look different from any I've seen in my lifetime. Any other year, my TV commercials would be dominated by candidates bashing one another, and not just the presidential candidates. This year is surprisingly and pleasantly different. First, the commercials are fewer. More importantly, they're mostly positive messages about the good the candidate intends to do. When Donald Trump contracted COVID, according to the news, Joe Biden completely changed his advertising strategy to be more sensitive.

So while politics influence the story of our worldwide pandemic, as we see governments bailing out struggling businesses and laws enforcing facemasks and social distancing, meanwhile are we also seeing the story of our worldwide pandemic influencing our politics.

In the Witch of Blackbird Pond, Kit from Barbados teaches a small New England community that women who float are not necessarily witches. A winner of the Hunger Games is the turning point in a political revolution. And a riches-to-rags family who owns the town of Schitt's Creek brings a measure of style and pizazz to the otherwise sleepy town.

I should mention that politics is about governance, about deciding how things will be. That could be on a national level, a local level, or even a household level. Did your MC convince mom to push back curfew to 11:00? That's politics. Did your MC make a pact with a best friend? Politics. Does your underage character get their hands on a case of beer? Definitely politics. In different cultures around our world, the punishment for being caught by law enforcement or parents could range from nonexistent to harsh, and which it is tells me something about your character, what motivates them, and their threshold for risk.

How do the politics of the culture in which your characters live shape your story? Does your story impact that political culture?

Cheers,
Michelle

Gift from Blue Witch
MESSAGE THREAD
*Exclaim*
Politics
· 10-20-20 8:49am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Politics · 10-20-20 9:24am
by Joy
Re: Re: Politics · 10-20-20 9:45am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Re: Politics · 10-20-20 9:50am
by Joy
Re: Politics · 10-20-20 11:28am
by QueenNormaJean gettinPomsready
Re: Re: Politics · 10-20-20 12:34pm
by Odessa Molinari
Re: Re: Re: Politics · 10-20-20 3:24pm
Re: Politics · 10-20-20 1:42pm
by Sarah Rae
Re: Re: Politics · 10-20-20 3:25pm
Re: Politics · 10-20-20 7:18pm
by Chrys O'Shea
Re: Politics · 10-20-20 7:44pm
Re: Politics · 10-21-20 9:27am
by Storm Machine

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online