About This Author
*Bullet* Kiya is a young woman with many interests. She's got a degree in Computer Science and Registered Nursing.
*Bullet* She's an avid reader and considers Stephen King one of her favorite authors. *Bullet* She's also been known to pen one or two stories here and there, and as a proud moderator of Writing.Com, she invites you to check out her portfolio (and even better, to sign up today!).

Published Works:

The Angel Lounge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 5, 2021 at 11:02am
Re: May 5th Challenge/Party!
Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera immediately come to mind. A friend wrote and performed a one-woman play on Frida. Also... I've visited her Blue House in Coyoacan. I have heard of José Clemente Orozco.

"Como agua para chocolate" (Like Water for Chocolate, 1991) and "Doña Herlinda y su hijo" (1985) are two films I remember well. I may have watched "Amores perros."

History? Hernán Cortes, Antonio López de Santa Anna, Pancho Villa. American p.o.v. is skewed towards military not cultural icons or internal political figures.

I decline to write an essay at this point. All of the above have been overdone. When I walked the streets of Mexico City, Coyoacan and Puebla I was impressed by the weight of history. The Aztec stones are 'light' and mostly shades of black, grey and red tuff in CDMX; they were reused as the early Spaniards were 'canabalistic' in their efforts to wipe away local culture and history. The remains of the temple in Mexico city are still impressive.

The real heroes of Mexico are the indigenous people who survived the onslaught of colonialism and still practice aspects of their culture that have influenced the world without any 'awards' for over 500 years. Most know the agricultural gifts of corn, tomatoes and cacao, but a trip to local restaurants and markets reveals foods never talked about north of the Rio Grande or south of Chiapas, like armadillo and deep fried scorpions. Like China... anything edible is eaten.

Me? I'm happy with dozens of different pastries at Ideal on Calle Uruguay in CDMX or a pollo con mole poblano in Puebla. I wasn't there long enough to do more than a taste test. *CountryMX*
MESSAGE THREAD
May 5th Challenge/Party! · 05-05-21 9:56am
by iKïyå§ama
*Exclaim*Re: May 5th Challenge/Party! · 05-05-21 11:02am
by Kåre Enga in Montana
Re: Re: May 5th Challenge/Party! · 05-05-21 12:20pm
by iKïyå§ama
Re: May 5th Challenge/Party! · 05-05-21 11:13am
by Lilli 🧿 ☕
Re: Re: May 5th Challenge/Party! · 05-05-21 12:23pm
by iKïyå§ama
Re: Re: Re: May 5th Challenge/Party! · 05-05-21 12:41pm
by Lilli 🧿 ☕
Re: Re: May 5th Challenge/Party! · 05-05-21 1:53pm
by Vaishali
Re: Re: Re: May 5th Challenge/Party! · 05-05-21 3:45pm
by iKïyå§ama
Re: May 5th Challenge/Party! · 05-05-21 1:16pm
by PiriPica
Re: Re: May 5th Challenge/Party! · 05-05-21 3:44pm
by iKïyå§ama
Re: Re: Re: May 5th Challenge/Party! · 05-05-21 3:49pm
by PiriPica

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, iKïyå§ama.
..:::..Kiya's Sanctuary..:::..
..:::..Kiya's Graphics Designs Portfolio..:::..

... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online