About This Author
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 11, 2022 at 12:10pm
Edited: October 11, 2022 at 12:13pm
Antagonist vs Villain
I'm getting towards the antagonist exercises now, and facing an interesting choice. As I realised when working on "PLOT: Premise, "the bandit leader is the enemy whom Suri believes to be her friend, and the commissioner is the friend whom Suri believes to be her enemy".

Commissioner Nesh is certainly the antagonist. She's the one who forces change on Suri, who disrupts Suri's life and threatens her peace. However, the commissioner is absolutely not the villain of the piece. That role falls to the bandit leader (as Suri discovers).

Now, for the antagonist profile, I can to do both the bandit leader and the commissioner; but for the backstory, I need to choose one. Commissioner Nesh's backstory is long and complex (in fact, it's book two of Fragments and is still being written). The bandit leader's backstory is fairly short and simple, but not at all sympathetic. The bandit leader isn't misunderstood, misguided, or mistaken; he's just foul.

I can see three options:
1 Tell a condensed version of book two, giving the commissioner's backstory,
2 Tell the story of how the bandit leader and his cronies set up their camp, or
3 Tell a story about the bandit leader's early days, and what lead him into a life of crime. This still won't make him sympathetic, but could go some way towards making it clear just how completely self-absorbed he is.

I've got until Saturday to decide. Meanwhile, I'd like to ask if anyone else is facing a similar situation, where the villain and the antagonist are not be the same person, or even on the same side. How have you decided to handle it?

*Quill* Kwills *Quill*
MESSAGE THREAD
*Exclaim*
Antagonist vs Villain
· 10-11-22 12:10pm
by Kell Willsen
Re: Antagonist vs Villain · 10-11-22 12:35pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Antagonist vs Villain · 10-11-22 12:56pm
by Storm Machine
Re: Antagonist vs Villain · 10-11-22 1:41pm
by QueenNormaJean gettinPomsready
Re: Re: Antagonist vs Villain · 10-11-22 2:00pm
by Kell Willsen

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online