About This Author
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ , also known as Michelle Tuesday, is a musician, educator and writer hailing from Columbus, Ohio.
October Novel Prep Challenge
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 23, 2023 at 8:41am
Edited: October 23, 2023 at 11:16am
Re: Map building
I'm also writing my first western and it's around-ish that same timeframe, give or take, as I haven't fully pinpointed that. Mine is a sci-fi western, so I don't have to worry so much about finding real town names. *Bigsmile* It actually hadn't even occurred to me to try and base it off a real area. *Think* That might be a fun idea, though. Well, my character will spend most of his time in the wilderness running from spur hunters and night jackals while trying not to fall in the slipping sand and getting to play with sand penguins AKA desert monkeys because they are funny and will steal long vaguely fish-shaped objects like pens, knives, and rifles...if they can carry it off. The sand penguins are a recent addition as an homage to s's well-known love of penguins. *Angelic* *Laugh* *Rolling* *Rolling* *Rolling*

Anyway, all this to say I can't help, but thanks for causing me to think of the possibility of using some old real towns (maybe some ghost towns) and good luck to us both with our first westerns! *Horseshoe* *Laugh*

Oh, wait! One suggestion--I hear librarians can be really good at this sort of thing...finding info no one else can. *Bigsmile* Check your local library and if you have a university library nearby, check it, too. Most will let you go in and use the library, even if you can't check anything out. Take pics, notes, and/or photocopy anything of use while you are there. *Wink*

Easter signature

And be sure to check out my challenge

FORUM
The Contest Challenge  (13+)
Join by entering a contest a month for 12 months--Win Badges! Catching up is allowed!
#2109126 by Schnujo's in Alabama

and my contest

FORUM
The Whatever Contest -- Closed for Now  (13+)
This irregular contest will change each round. Nature poem? Horror story? Whatever.
#2232242 by Schnujo's in Alabama

MESSAGE THREAD
Map building · 10-22-23 6:17pm
by Marvelous Friend
Re: Map building · 10-22-23 7:49pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Map building · 10-22-23 7:54pm
by QueenNormaJean gettinPomsready
*Exclaim*Re: Map building · 10-23-23 8:41am
by Schnujo's in Alabama
Re: Re: Map building · 10-23-23 8:57am
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: Map building · 10-23-23 9:15am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Re: Map building · 10-23-23 9:44am
by Schnujo's in Alabama
Re: Map building · 10-23-23 9:03am
by Schnujo's in Alabama
Re: Re: Map building · 10-23-23 9:05am
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: Re: Map building · 10-23-23 9:33am
by Schnujo's in Alabama
Re: Re: Re: Re: Map building · 10-23-23 11:04am
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: Re: Re: Map building · 10-23-23 11:06am
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Map building · 10-23-23 11:14am
by Schnujo's in Alabama
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Map building · 10-23-23 11:23am
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Map building · 10-23-23 11:36am
by Schnujo's in Alabama

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
... powered by: Writing.Com
Online Writing Portfolio * Creative Writing Online